How I Fixed: Error: The number of path segments is not divisible by 2 in “”

Perhaps “how I fixed” is a poor title for this one. I don’t think I fixed it, but I found a workaround.

Here’s the gist of the problem:

docker run --rm \
		--env-file /path/to/my/terraform/azure/.env \
		-v /path/to/my/terraform/azure:/workspace \
		-w /workspace \
		my-custom/terraform:local \
		apply --auto-approve
╷
│ Error: The number of path segments is not divisible by 2 in ""
│ 
│   with azurerm_linux_virtual_machine.christest,
│   on create-instance.tf line 1, in resource "azurerm_linux_virtual_machine" "christest":
│    1: resource "azurerm_linux_virtual_machine" "christest" {
│ 
╵
╷
│ Error: The number of path segments is not divisible by 2 in ""
│ 
│   with azurerm_linux_virtual_machine.christest,
│   on create-instance.tf line 1, in resource "azurerm_linux_virtual_machine" "christest":
│    1: resource "azurerm_linux_virtual_machine" "christest" {
│ 
╵
╷
│ Error: The number of path segments is not divisible by 2 in ""
│ 
│   with azurerm_linux_virtual_machine.christest,
│   on create-instance.tf line 1, in resource "azurerm_linux_virtual_machine" "christest":
│    1: resource "azurerm_linux_virtual_machine" "christest" {
│ 

Some extra info that may / may not be helpful in this particular instance is that I wanted to run Terraform through Docker. In order to work with Azure command line (az) I had to bake that into the Dockerfile

FROM hashicorp/terraform:1.0.10

RUN \
  apk update && \
  apk add bash py-pip && \
  apk add --virtual=build gcc libffi-dev musl-dev openssl-dev python3-dev make && \
  python3 -m pip install --upgrade pip && \
  python3 -m pip install azure-cli && \
  apk del --purge build

To build the Dockerfile I then do a docker build -t my-custom/terraform:local . which is where that custom Docker image is coming from above. Names changed to protect the innocent.

Anyway, I have a bunch of files in this project mainly to split things out for the sake of my sanity. Where Terraform seemed to die was with this first file:

resource "azurerm_linux_virtual_machine" "christest" {
  name                            = "${var.owner}-vm"
  resource_group_name             = azurerm_resource_group.christest.name
  location                        = azurerm_resource_group.christest.location
  size                            = var.instance_size
  admin_username                  = "adminuser"
  admin_password                  = "abadpassword"
  disable_password_authentication = false
  network_interface_ids = [
    azurerm_network_interface.christest.id,
  ]

  source_image_id = var.source_image_id

  os_disk {
    storage_account_type = "Standard_LRS"
    caching              = "ReadWrite"
  }
}

By and large, I’d simply copied this from the docs and then tried to be a smart arse and turned some of the things into variables.

Here’s where things got confusing.

As above, the Terraform output complains that:

Error: The number of path segments is not divisible by 2 in ""

This error repeats three times.

Hmmm. Three times… well, wait. Don’t I have three variables here, right at the top? Probably them, right?

No. No matter what I did – and it got to the point where I hardcoded them – the error remained. If it remained when they were just plain old strings, there was no way it was these lines causing the problem.

So, I dutifully copy / pasted the entire Azure config in from the docs, and lo-and-behold, that worked first time. D’oh.

What else had I changed?

source_image_id = var.source_image_id

And the associated variable I’d created:

# az vm image list --output table

variable "source_image_id" {
  description = "The ID of the Image which this Virtual Machine should be created from"
  type        = string
  default     = "Canonical:UbuntuServer:18.04-LTS:latest"
}

That’s not how it’s set in the example from the docs. Here’s what they have:

  source_image_reference {
    publisher = "Canonical"
    offer     = "UbuntuServer"
    sku       = "18.04-LTS"
    version   = "latest"
  }

Annoyingly, I didn’t even need this set as a variable. I’d just tried to be that aforementioned smart arse, which had bitten me on said arse.

There isn’t an example in the docs of how to use source_image_id, I’d just guessed. Wrongly, it seems.

And why I say I haven’t fixed this is I still don’t know the right format to use here. I just know that by using source_image_reference then the error goes away. Good enough for me.

Published by

Code Review

CodeReviewVideos is a video training site helping software developers learn Symfony faster and easier.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.